Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Home-made Ketchup



So we're trying to cut back on processed foods and sugary condiments, and I had a whole lot of wonderful tomatoes from my autumn garden - so I wanted to try and make my own ketchup.

My DH (dear husband - not to be confused with my SH stupid husband, hehehe) loves his Heinz ketchup, so this is going to be a tough thing to replace in the kitchen - but here goes.....

Pennies Home-made Tomato Ketchup

1 big jar

1 finely diced onion
1 clove of garlic (or more if you're afraid of vampires) ;)
2 tabl. sp. olive oil
2 cans of diced tomatoes or equivalent of fresh tomates (around 400g)
100g of koncentrated tomatopuré
½ tsp. of cayenne pepper
3 tbl. sp. white wine vinegar
3 tbl. sp. of raisins
1 diced apple
3 tabl. sp. sugar (or sugar substitute - i used Palm sugar)
salt and freshly grated black pepper. 

Sauté the onions in the olive oil in a pot on medium heat, until the onions are clear and soft. (Do not brown them).



Add the rest of the ingridients and let it all simmer for about 30 min. until the consistency is nice and thick. Taste with salt and pepper and palm sugar. 





You can keep it chunky or run it through the blender to get it more smooth. 

Hope you enjoy!!

Pennie :)

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I have been meaning to make some homemade ketchup soon. I would have never thought to add raisins, but it sounds interesting! Will try this out :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete